FOOD
A little back story. I order to give Zac the proper amount of insulin for each meal you have to first determine serving size and carbs per serving. Then I have to get him to tell me how much he thinks he is going to eat of each thing. Then I have to determine total carbs and divide by 15 (its a "magic" number...don't ask me) and find the amount of "units" to give him and then inject him with the insulin before he eats...not after. The trick is he has to eat everything on his plate because we have already given him the insulin for the carbs he is supposed to eat. If he doesn't then we have to estimate how much carbs he didn't eat and then give him something else to cover the insulin we gave him...usually apple juice is the easiest thing to figure out. Obviously its better if we can get it right in the first place then try to guess on the backside. Now let's look at yesterday's lunch conversation:
Me: Zac, what do you want for lunch?
Zac: I don't know but I am really hungry.
Me: Ok how about a hotdog?
Zac: ok
Me: We only have hamburger buns. Is that ok?
Zac: No, I want a hotdog bug.
Me: We only have hamburger.
Zac: OK.
Me: How many do you think you are going to eat?
Zac: I don't know.
Me: One? Two?
Zac: I don't know.
Me: Do you want anything else? Chips? Watermelon?
Zac: I don't know.
Me: How about an apple?
Zac: I don't know.
Me: We need to figure this out so I can feed you so your blood sugar doesn't drop.
Zac: (silence: staring at computer)
Me: Zac. Zac. Zac.
Zac: STOP BUGGING ME ABOUT FOOD!!!
This conversation ended with the package of hamburger buns being decimated by me and me going to my room for a huge cry. (Joe ended up getting it all figured out).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment